The Town of Superior Building Department oversees the issuance of building permits and reviews plans for both commercial and residential. The department is also responsible for inspections, building safety, and variances.
Building Permit Application
Residential Green Building Requirements
Permits are required for most work done at your home, including:
Roof replacement or repairs, decks, additions, fences over 6’ and retaining walls over 4’, installation of water heaters (expansion tank needed if backflow is on system) furnaces and air conditioners; basement finishes/remodels, structural repairs, all decks, replacement of windows and roofs, and detached accessory structures greater than 200 square feet.
- Ice and water shield, and drip edge, are required on all eaves when replacing a roof.
- Be sure to get Home Owners Association approval when it is required (all work on exterior of structures). Obtain your permit before you purchase any materials, so you can show the retailer you have paid your use tax (City Sales Tax).
Zoning for Rock Creek, Sagamore and Original Town
- Furnace combustion air ducts size 6” round, two required. One upper and one lower. 30” clearance in front of face of equipment.
- Garage ceilings with living space above shall have 5/8 x drywall.
- The minimum horizontal projection and width of a window well shall be 36”.
- C-exposure if in wide open area.
- 30lbs. snow load on roof & ground.
- 60 lbs per sq. ft. deck load.
- Wind speed 120 mph, 3 second gust, and 104 mph fastest mile.
- Frost Depth is 3 feet; caissons must be 36" deep
- Insulation R min. R for ceiling.
- Concrete 3500 PSI
To contact the Building Department. 122 E. William St., 303-381-2028
Email Ernie Kern
Carbon Monoxide Safety Act took effect July 1, 2009